Thursday, March 15, 2012

Speaking of Dancing

Last Thursday I went to a jazz club on Sunset to hear a little Latin Jazz.  I've seen this group play several times before and they are great.  My friend T and I decide to grab a bite there too and I ordered a bottle of wine, as the show would not start for another half hour or so.  I had just gotten my taxes out to my accountant and I was in the mood to celebrate.

Once the group started playing it immediately awakened my ever present "dancing spirit" and it was difficult for me to sit still.  After about the third tune, I noticed a couple in a booth across the room got up and were dancing.  I stood it as long as I could and about half way through the song I couldn't take it anymore and got up went and stood near a wall facing the stage and did my "thing."  Getting it out of my system, I quickly sat down once the music stopped.  Apparently I had attracted the attention of the people at the table next to us, which was a party of about 6-7 people, because once the music started again, this "older," smartly dressed man came up to me and asked me to dance.

I never turn down the opportunity to dance and jumped up at the chance.  The guy could dance, but we danced apart, each doing our thing....and doing my "thing" I was....eyes closed...lost in the music, arms up in the air, body swaying...hips in sync with the bongos....  I was busy expressing my "inner" dancer....when I was rudely awakened by my dance partner kissing the side of my neck and asking me if I knew how incredibly hot and incredibly sexy I was.   I barely opened an eye, placed my hand on his chest and gave him a friendly little shove.   By this time another two couples ventured by the same wall and were dancing....and I continued...lost in my self expressive way and gliding on the floor in my 3 inch heels and my favorite DVF fitted silk dress....when my partner again started kissing my neck anew and again singing my praises in a repeat of the same words.

Unperturbed and thinking he was a few sheets to the wind maybe...I gave him another gentle, but firm, push (pretty much the same treatment I'd given over-amorous young men in my youth).  Surely he would get the hint?  Finally he took my hands and we did a few moves together and then the song ended and he took me back to the table and taking my hand..says to my friend..."Thank you for giving me the pleasure of dancing with your beautiful and incredibly sexy friend" and as he went back to his friends, I suddenly turned to T and said   "Why the hell is he thanking you?  Does he think we're Lesbians?"  She started giggling and I gave her a dirty look.

Well, a few seconds later, I noticed he was paying the bill for the entire table of guests (male and female) and he comes up to me, leans over my shoulder and asks me if I have a card.  I said I didn't and he puts his on the table and tells me he would very much like to take me to dinner and if I wanted to go to please call him.  I smiled but don't even remember what I said.

After T and I left the club, she called our friend S. and he told us he had just gotten home from dinner with a group of friends and had had too much Sake, but asked us to come over.   T said he sounded a little fuzzy and I was in the mood for coffee and desert, so we stopped at the Coffee Bean on Sunset near Palm and I got a large latte and some almond croissants for me and cupcakes and a large chocolate latte for him.  At his apartment, the three of us spent another hour talking and then I headed for home but not before S told me he liked my dress as I went out the door.

When I got home, I pulled out the card and looked at it.   Turns out my  sticky admirer is a very serious, prominent Beverly Hills surgeon (Stanford grad) who has a worldwide reputation in his field.  After having a good laugh, unable to reconcile his ardor with the serious field he was in, I e-mailed both T and S about it and S kiddingly answered that I better make friends with him in case any of us was ever a candidate for the delicate surgery this man does.  At that point I was thinking that I was awfully glad that I hadn't knocked the guy down with my gentle shoves and all I could think of is that it is hard to judge a book by its cover...the man had had a few drinks perhaps...and probably thought the same of me...so it was easy to take the liberties...the kind a smart female takes as flattery, without too much importance and the kind one just swats away like a moth that gets too close.

The next day, out of curiosity,   I pulled out the card again and did a little research....and had the thought  that my tax accountant (who lives in a very pricy part of town overlooking the ocean and had called me about taking me to lunch ) probably knows the guy.  I was grinning and thinking how curious it would be if there was a connection. All I will say is that it is a very small world and one should never make snap judgements.   All I thought at the moment he came up to me was that it was an "old guy" (because I see myself as eternally young) and he was asking me to dance and I would have danced with King Kong...if he had asked....just to get out there and do something I love doing so much.

I was also very gratified that night,  when another couple came by our table and the male told me that I was a "great" dancer and that their side of the room had all been commenting....SO, needless to say....I had come home, one very content and very swelled headed, hot (and sexy) lady... and wondering whether the "old" guy still had some life in him?   I do remembering looking in the mirror after removing my make up....and saying to  myself..."You are no spring chicken, luve....so who are you calling old?"

Almost a week later his card is sitting next to my computer.  I keep thinking maybe I'll talk to my accountant and see if he knows him, after all,  one can never have too many friends...  But I recognize that the problem with me is that,  at my core, I am still that young girl....lost in her dreams...and  again waiting for the ONE man "with the right heat" who will knock ME off my feet (on the dance floor or not) to walk into my life.

The cynic in me doesn't believe he exists anymore....but my heart just doesn't want to believe it.  It's happened before so why not!  I still think of a lovely, younger judge that made my heart (and other body parts) do funny things.   I was a fool to let that one slip by.  How many times can one do that before fate says....that's all you get, lady!  Don't be greedy!  You've already had your lifetime quota!

Songs out of tune, the words always a little wrong...Canzoni Stonate

No comments:

Post a Comment